Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Are we going to get the Hang of this Marriage Thing ?

 

I hope to continue to write about our early life and get it up to the point of where we are now in our journey.  As of right now there is so much more of our past that I want to write about and only hope I can blog long enough to have then, meet now. 

 

 I grew up in a big house on top of a hill in the middle of nowhere.  My family consisted of 4 brothers, 1 sister, 1 adopted sister, numerous foster brothers and sisters, summertime Herald Tribune Fresh Air Children, a Mom & Dad, a Nana & Dada, cows, sheep chickens, pigs, horses and of course a dog or two.  Being alone and being bored was never an option!

 

Our  Wedding Day

 Fast forward to meeting Peter.  When we met he worked days and nights,  but right after we got engaged he took a day job in a restaurant in Hartford.  We had our evenings and weekends together.  I had also changed jobs and was now working for a wonderful man who owned a printing company. He was the best boss ever. I worked days.  Life was good and normal.  The night before we got married, Peter accepted the position of Executive Chef at the Shoreham Motor Hotel in Hartford. Our wedding  was woinderful. It was a beautiful sunny, breezy day. We were married at Corpus Christi Church in Wethersfield, Connecticut on August 29, 1970. When we returned from our honeymoon, (the honeymoon is a blog unto itself),  I worked 8 am to 4 pm and Peter's new job had him working 10 am to 2 pm, and then 4 pm to 9 pm. Life was not so good.  I was so lonely. I missed all my family!!!

 

Peter was an avid Skier.  I was not. We went on our first ski trip over Thanksgiving 1970. He rented me skis, took me to the top of the bunny slope and said ok, just do this.......which I tried to copy for about 30 seconds.......then took off my skis and walked down the hill.  It was a long, chilly ride home on our first Thanksgiving!!!  Fortunately we met a couple who lived in our apartment complex who also liked to ski. They convinced us to go skiing with them, but to get me an instructor.  It made a world of difference and soon I was "sorta" enjoying skiing!

 

 An opportunity for the four of us to go skiing for a week in January in Canada came about. Unfortunately, my wonderful boss could not give me the time off so I had to terminate my employment with him.  When we returned from that wonderful week, I went to work as a waitress at the Shoreham Hotel.  I was trained by an old Greek waiter.  He taught me the restaurant business and Greek swear words, most of which I can still remember.  This was the beginning of an unforgetable journey, working side by side, with many new jobs, people and places in our future.

No comments:

Post a Comment